Acute otitis media and Covid-19 symptoms: a case report
Background: In December 2019, the first Coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) case was observed in Wuhan, China, and afterward, the world has been exposed to an ongoing pandemic. The Covid-19 has different symptoms, such as fever, coughing, shortness of breath, muscular pain, headache, diarrhea, nose running, and a sore throat. However, the symptoms of Covid-19 are not limited to these ones.
The Case: The present study reports a 39-year-old female patient complaining of earache and hearing loss with no other Covid-19 symptoms. The medical tests and diagnoses finally inferred that she was suffering from the Covid-19.
Conclusion: In addition to the common symptoms of Covid 19, acute otitis media can be considered as another symptom of this disease.
2. Jamshidi MB, Lalbakhsh A, Talla J, Peroutka Z, Roshani S, Matousek V, et al. Deep learning techniques and COVID-19 drug discovery: fundamentals, state-of-the-art and future directions. Emerging Technologies During the Era of COVID-19 Pandemic. 2021;348:9-31. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-67716-9_2
3. Fidan V. New type of corona virus induced acute otitis media in adult. Am J Otolaryngol. 2020;41(3):102487. doi: 10.1016/j.amjoto.2020.102487
4. Dodangeh M, Dodangeh M. Joulani MA, Elahian Boroujeni A. What we know about 2019-nCoV in Iran in the early stage? Virusdisease. 2020;31(3):1-3. doi: 10.1007/s13337-020-00596-w
5. Abdel Rhman S, Abdel Wahid A. COVID -19 and sudden sensorineural hearing loss, a case report. Otolaryngology Case Reports. 2020;16:100198.doi: 10.1016/j.xocr.2020.100198
6. Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X, QU J, Gong F, Han Y, et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet. 2020;395(10223):507-13. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30211-7
7. Raad N, Ghorbani J, Mikaniki N, Haseli S, Karimi-Galougahi M. Otitis media in coronavirus disease 2019: a case series. J Laryngol Otol. 2021;135(1):10-3. doi: 10.1017/S0022215120002741
8. Maharaj S, Bello Alvarez M, Mungul S, Hari K. Otologic dysfunction in patients with COVID-19: A systematic review. Laryngoscope Investig Otolaryngol. 2020;5(6):1192-6. doi: 10.1002/lio2.498
|Issue||Vol 30 No 4 (2021)|
|Acute otitis media Covid-19 conductive hearing loss|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|