Relationship between auditory brainstem response and neonantal hyperbilirubinemia before and after treatment

  • Tahereh Esmaeilnia Breast Feeding Research Center, Vali-e-Asr Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
  • Mamak Shariat Maternal Fetal and Neonatal Research Center, Vali-e-Asr Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
  • Bita Ebrahim Mail Maternal Fetal and Neonatal Research Center, Vali-e-Asr Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
  • Faezeh Moghimpour Bijani School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Keywords:
Acute bilirubin encephalopathy, auditory brainstem response, hyperbilirubinemia

Abstract

Background and Aim: Neonatal jaundice is one of the common causes of early sensori­neural hearing loss and an important cause of deafness in children. Auditory responses are the most sensitive parts of the nervous system to the toxic effect of bilirubin. This study was aimed to examine the effect of neonatal hyperbili­rubinemia and its treatment on auditory brain­stem responses (ABR).
Methods: In this before-after and experimental study, a total of 44 term neonates who were admitted to the neonatal ward due to bilirubin level of ≥15 mg/dl after the third day of birth were entered to the study. The first ABR examination was carried out within the first day of admission and repeated after treatment if it was abnormal. Comparisons were drawn to examine the correlation between ABR changes and the level of bilirubin and ABR changes before and after treatment of hyperbili­rubinemia. p<0.05 was considered significant, and statistical power of the study was 90%.
Results: ABR was abnormal in 45% of the understudy population. The most common abnormality was prolonged latency of wave V (90%, p=0.0001). Other abnormalities were prolonged interpeak latencies (IPL) of wave I-III (85%, p=0.692), prolonged latency of wave III (65%, p=0.0001), prolonged IPL of wave I-V (25%, p= 0.087) and prolonged wave I (4%, p=0.0149). ABR was repeated on six neonates, four cases (67%) of which had normal ABR and the other two (33%) were abnormal.
Conclusion: ABR evaluation should be rout­inely performed in neonates with hyper­bilirubinemia regardless of the presence of bilirubin-induced encephalopathic findings.

References

1. Mojtabai SH, Jalali MM, Jenabi AH, Saljoughi L. Relation between indirect hyperbilirubinemia and auditory brain response abnormality due to neonatal icter. Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences. 2008;16(64):106-11. Persian.
2. Zahedpasha Y, Ahmadpoor M, Nazari R. Effect of exchange transfusion on ABR abnormality due to severe neonatal hyperbilirubinemia. Iran J Pediatr. 2005;15(3):197-202.
3. Amin SB. Clinical assessment of bilirubin-induced neurotoxicity in premature infants. Semin Perinatol. 2004;28(5):340-7.
4. Amin SB, Ahlfors C, Orlando MS, Dalzell LE, Merle KS, Guillet R. Bilirubin and serial auditory brainstem responses in premature infants. Pediatrics. 2001;107(4):664-70.
5. Warren MP. The auditory brainstem response in pediatrics. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 1989;22(3):473-500.
6. Sharma R, Grover N, Sankhyan N, Sharma ML. Auditory brainstem responses in neonatal hyperbilirubinemia and effect of therapy. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006;58(4):340-2.
7. Kaga K, Kitazumi E, Kodama K. Auditory brain stem responses of kernicterus infants. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 1979;1(3):255-64.
8. Shapiro SM. Bilirubin toxicity in the developing nervous system. Pediatr Neurol. 2003;29(5):410-21.
9. Ahlfors CE, Amin SB, Parker AE. Unbound bilirubin predicts abnormal automated auditory brainstem response in a diverse newborn population. J Perinatol. 2009;29(4):305-9.
10. Newman TB, Liljestrand P, Jeremy RJ, Ferriero DM, Wu YW, Hudes ES, et al. Outcomes among newborns with total serum bilirubin levels of 25 mg per deciliter or more. N Engl J Med. 2006;354(18):1889-900.
11. Mukhopadhyay K, Chowdhary G, Singh P, Kumar P, Narang A. Neurodevelopmental outcome of acute bilirubin encephalopathy. J Trop Pediatr.2010;56(5):333-6.
12. Saluja S, Agarwal A, Kler N, Amin S. Auditory neuropathy spectrum disorder in late preterm and term infants with severe jaundice. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2010;74(11):1292-7.
Published
2015-11-25
How to Cite
1.
Esmaeilnia T, Shariat M, Ebrahim B, Moghimpour Bijani F. Relationship between auditory brainstem response and neonantal hyperbilirubinemia before and after treatment. Aud Vestib Res. 24(4):210-216.
Section
Research Article(s)