The effect of hearing aid use on dichotic listening performance of the hearing-impaired elderly
Background and Aim: One of the chronic health problems of the elderly is presbycusis, and one of the most important age-related changes in central auditory processing is dichotic listening deficit. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of using hearing aids on dichotic listening performance of the elderly with hearing loss by dichotic tests.
Methods: In this cross-sectional study, randomized dichotic digit test (RDDT) and dichotic auditory verbal memory test (DAVMT) were performed on 20 seniors with hearing loss (8 male, 12 female) aged 65−80 years. They were divided into two groups of test (with hearing aid, n = 10) and control (without hearing aid, n = 10). They were tested before and two months after the use of hearing aid and the results were analyzed using t-test for two independent variables.
Results: There was a significant difference in the total DAVMT score in control group before and after the intervention (p < 0.001) and not in test group, but in terms of right and left ear DAVMT and RDDT scores, showed no significant difference in any groups. Moreover, there was no significant difference in the mean DAVMT score of the right ear and the mean RDDT score between groups, but in terms of the total DAVMT score, a significant difference between two groups was reported (p = 0.003).
Conclusion: It can be said that the DAVMT has the ability to show adverse effects of hearing loss on recognition function and memory of the elderly.
2. Calhoun KH, Eibling DE. Geriatric otolaryngology. 1st ed. New York: Taylor & Francis Group; 2006.
3. Dawes P, Bishop D. Auditory processing disorder in relation to developmental disorders of language, communication and attention: a review and critique. Int J Lang Commun Disord. 2009;44(4):440-65. doi: 10.1080/13682820902929073
4. Nazeri A, Lotfi Y, Moosavi A, Zamiri F, Delfi M. [Auditory processing disorders in elderly people]. J Rehab Med. 2014;3(1):58-66. Persian. doi: 10.22037/JRM.2014.1100126
5. Rajabpur E, Hajiablohasan F, Tahai SA, Jalaie S. [Development of the Persian single dichotic digit test and its reliability in 7-9 year old male students]. Audiol. 2014;23(5):68-77. Persian.
6. Moller E. Dichotic word recognition of young adults in noise. [Dissertation]. Ohio: Ohio State University; 2007.
7. Kimura D. Functional asymmetry of the brain in dichotic listening. Cortex. 1967;3(2):163-78. doi: 10.1016/S0010-9452(67)80010-8
8. Huang Q, Tang J. Age-related hearing loss or presbycusis. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2010;267(8):1179-91. doi: 10.1007/s00405-010-1270-7
9. Christianson SA, Nilsson LG, Silfvenius H. Initial memory deficits and subsequent recovery in two cases of head trauma. Scand J Psychol. 1987;28(4):267-80. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9450.1987.tb00764.x
10. Shahidipour Z, Geshani A, Jafari Z, Jalaie S, Khosravifard E. Auditory memory deficit in elderly people with hearing loss. Iran J Otorhinolaryngol. 2013;25(3):169-76. doi: 10.22038/IJORL.2013.661
11. Jafari Z, Moritz PS, Zandi T, Aliakbari Kamrani A, Malyeri S. [Psychometric properties of Persian version of the Rey auditory-verbal learning test (RAVLT) among the elderly]. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology. 2010;16(1):56-64. Persian.
12. Hällgren M, Larsby B, Lyxell B, Arlinger S. Cognitive effects in dichotic speech testing in elderly persons. Ear Hear. 2001;22(2):120-9. doi: 10.1097/00003446-200104000-00005
13. Tyler RS, Summerfield Q, Wood EJ, Fernandes MA. Psychoacoustic and phonetic temporal processing in normal and hearing-impaired listeners. J Acoust Soc Am. 1982;72(3):740-52. doi: 10.1121/1.388254
14. Beasley DS, Schwimmer S, Rintelmann WF. Intelligibility of time-compressed CNC monosyllables. J Speech Hear Res. 1972;15(2):340-50. doi: 10.1044/jshr.1502.340
15. Kim M, Chung W, Choi J, Hong SH, Cho Y, Park G, et al. Effect of a Bluetooth-implemented hearing aid on speech recognition performance: subjective and objective measurement. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2014;123(6):395-401. doi: 10.1177/0003489414526847
16. Oldfield RC. The assessment and analysis of handedness: the Edinburgh inventory. Neuropsychologia. 1971;9(1):97-113. doi: 10.1016/0028-3932(71)90067-4
17. Foroughan M, Jafari Z, Shirin Bayan P, Ghaem Magham Farahani Z, Rahgozar M. [Validation of mini- mental state examination (MMSE) in the elderly population of Tehran]. Adv Cogn Sci. 2008; 10(2):29-37. Persian.
18. Mahdavi ME, Pourbakht A, Parand A, Jalaie S, Rezaeian M, Moradiju E. Auditory recognition of words and digits in multitalker babble in learning-disabled children with dichotic listening deficit. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2017;19(4):e42817. doi: 10.5812/ircmj.42817
19. Moradiju E, Mahdavi ME, Zarrinkoob H, Tabatabaee SM. [Relative and absolute test-retest reliability of several Persian auditory processing tests for dichotic listening and recognition of speech-in-noise in normal children aged 6-12 years]. J Rehab Med. 2018;6(4):160-7. Persian. doi: 10.22037/JRM.2017.110584.1389
20. Aghamolaie M, Jafari Z, Tahaie AA, Toufan R, Keyhani MR. [The effect of gender on the results of the Persian version of dichotic auditory-verbal memory test]. Adv Cogn Sci. 2010;12(1):70-6. Persian.
21. Surr RK, Montgomery AA, Mueller HG. Effect of mona¬ural hearing aid use on dichotic test results for individuals with high-frequency hearing impairment. J Speech Hear Disord. 1986;51(2):161-9. doi: 10.1044/jshd.5102.161
22. D'Anselmo A, Marzoli D, Brancucci A. The influence of memory and attention on the ear advantage in dichotic listening. Hear Res. 2016;342:144-9. doi: 10.1016/j.heares.2016.10.012
23. Hugdahl K, Wester K. Lateralized thalamic stimulation: effects on verbal memory. Neuropsychiatry Neuropsy¬chol Behav Neurol. 1997;10(3):155-61.
24. Ribas A, Mafra N, Marques J, Mottecy C, Silvestre R, Kozlowski L. Dichotic hearing in elderly hearing aid users who choose to use a single-ear device. Int Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2014;18(4):347-51. doi: 10.1055/s-0034-1372508
25. Lessa AH, Hennig TR, Costa MJ, Rossi AG. Results of auditory rehabilitation in elderly users of hearing aids evaluated by a dichotic test. Codas. 2013;25(2):169-75. doi: 10.1590/s2317-17822013000200013
26. Aghamollaei M, Tahaei SA, Jafari Z, Toufan R, Keyhani MR. [Development and evaluation of the Persian version of the dichotic auditory-verbal memory test in 18- to 25-year old normal individuals]. Audiol. 2011;20(2):86-94. Persian.
27. Wester K, Hugdahl K. Arachnoid cysts of the left temporal fossa: impaired preoperative cognition and postoperative improvement. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1995;59(3):293-8. doi: 10.1136/jnnp.59.3.293
28. Lavie L, Banai K, Karni A, Attias J. Hearing aid-induced plasticity in the auditory system of older adults: evidence from speech perception. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 2015;58(5):1601-10. doi: 10.1044/2015_JSLHR-H-14-0225
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.