Estimation of the referral rate of suspected cases of central auditory processing disorders in children aged 8-12 years old in Oshnavieh, Western Iran, based on auditory processing domain questionnaire and speech in noise and dichotic digit tests
Background and Aim: Studies have shown that central auditory processing disorder is a sensory processing deficit which has five percent prevalence among school-aged children that results in speech, language and learning problems in children. The aim of the current study was investigating the referral rate of children suspected to central auditory processing disorder (CAPD) by using auditory processing domain questionnaire (APDQ), speech in noise test, and dichotic digit test.
Methods: Three hundred and ninety six APDQ questionnaire was obtained from children’s parents among five schools in Oshnaviyeh. The children with low APDQ score underwent speech in noise and dichotic digit test (DDT).
Results: The findings revealed that 37 children were suspected to CAPD based on APDQ. 35 of these participants in DDT and 24 of them in speech in noise test also indicated low scores, respectively. Moreover, results were unrelated to gender, however, age had a positive correlation with the questionnaire scores.
Conclusion: Based on the findings, the APDQ can be used as a screening questionnaire for detecting CAPD.
2. Veuillet E, Magnan A, Ecalle J, Thai-Van H, Collet L. Auditory processing disorder in children with reading disabilities: effect of audiovisual training. Brain. 2007;130(Pt 11):2915-28. doi: 10.1093/brain/awm235
3. O'Hara B. The auditory processing domains ques¬tionnaire. APDQ 2012. rev. 1. For parents and teachers of students ages 7 through 17 years. Retrieved from http://www.neuroaudiology.com/APDQ.pdf Richard G, Ferre J. 2006.
4. Ebadi E, Jarollahi F, Tahaei AA, Ahadi M, Hosseini AF. Development and evaluation of the Persian version of the multiple auditory processing assessment. Aud Vest Res. 2016;25(2):75-81.
5. Ahmadi Z, Jarollahi F, Ahadi M, Hosseini AF. Normalization and validation of Auditory Processing Domain Questionnaire in normal 8-12 year-old children. Aud Vest Res. 2017;26(2):93-98.
6. Domitz DM, Schow RL. A new CAPD battery--multiple auditory processing assessment: factor analysis and comparisons with SCAN. Am J Audiol. 2000;9(2):101-11. doi: 10.1044/1059-0889(2000/012)
7. Drake M, Brager M, Leyendecker J, Preston M, Shorten E, Stoos R, et al. Comparison of the CHAPS screening tool and APD diagnosis. Paper presented at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention. 2006. Retrieved from: www.eshow2000.com/asha/2006/handouts/855_0427Drake_Mary_072995_120106033139.pdf
8. Mahdavi ME, Aghazadeh J, Tahaei AA, Heiran F, Akbarzadeh Baghban A. [Persian randomized dichotic digits test: development and dichotic listening performance in young adults]. Audiol. 2017;23(6):99-113. Persian.
9. Cameron S, Dillon H. Remediation of spatial processing issues in central auditory processing disorder. In: Chermak GD, Musiek FE, editors. Handbook of central auditory processing disorder, Volume II: comprehensive intervention. 2nd ed. San Diego: Plural Publishing, Inc.; 2014. p. 201-24.
10. Keith RW. Development and standardization of SCAN-C Test for Auditory Processing Disorders in Children. J Am Acad Audiol. 2000;11(8):438-45.
11. Medwetsky L, Riddle L, Katz J. Management of central auditory processing disorders. In: Katz J, Medwetsky L, Burkard R, Hood LJ, editors. Handbook of clinical udiology. 6th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009. p. 642-65.
12. Shahmir B, Hajiabolhassan F, Mohammadkhani G, Tahaei AA, Jalaie S. Development and evaluation of the reliability of Persian version of double dichotic digit test in girls aged 7 to 11 years. Aud Vest Res. 2015;24(3):164-70.
13. Pickles JO. An introduction to the physiology of hearing. 3rd ed. London: Emerald; 2008.
14. Mukari SZ, Keith RW, Tharpe AM, Johnson CD. Development and standardization of single and double dichotic digit tests in the Malay language. Int J Audiol. 2006;45(6):344-52. doi: 10.1080/14992020600582174
15. Moradiju E, Mahdavi M, Zarrinkoob H, Tabatabaee S. [Relative and absolute test-retest reliability of several persian auditory processing tests for dichotic listening and recognition of speech-in-noise in normal children aged 6-12 years]. J Rehab Med. 2018;6(4);160-67. Persian. doi: 10.22037/jrm.2017.110584.1389
16. Nejati V, Alipour F, jalilvand Karimi L, Esfandiari L. Persian version of the dichotic digit test for children: design and evaluation of the psychometric properties. Aud Vest Res. 2016; 25(1):55-62.
17. Lagacé J, Jutras B, Gagné JP. Auditory processing disorder and speech perception problems in noise: finding the underlying origin. Am J Audiol. 2010;19(1):17-25. doi: 10.1044/1059-0889(2010/09-0022)
Copyright (c) 2018 Auditory and Vestibular Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.