Development, validity and reliability of Persian international outcome inventory for hearing aids questionnaire
Background and Aim: Self-assessment questionnaire was developed to judge the success or failure of all aspects of the hearing aid selection and fitting process. The International outcome Inventory for Hearing Aids (IOI-HA( is one of the most common questionnaires to quantify the satisfaction of hearing aid users and its impact on their lives. This study mainly focused on preparing a Persian version of this questionnaire and analyzing its validity and reliability.
Methods: First, the original English version of the questionnaire was translated into Persian, then its content and face validity was determined by expert in field and examiners. Persian IOI-HA was presented to 50 hearing aid users twice with two to three weeks interval and, the collected data were analyzed statistically. Finally, in order to evaluate the reliability of the current questionnaire, the correlations of items and paired t-test statistics for total score in test-retest was obtained.
Results: The results of face validity assessment revealed that the current questionnaire has a high quality in translation, intelligibility, and cultural adaptation. Mean total score was 26.80 (SD=3.65), and the overall Cronbach’s alpha of this questionnaire was 0.73. Reliability assessment showed that the means of the total scores of the current questionnaire in test-retest have no significant difference, and the scores of the items in test-retest showed a strong correlation.
Conclusion: Based on the obtained results, the Persian version of the questionnaire has a satisfactory face validity and reliability and could be used in medical centers.
2. Smith SL, Noe CM, Alexander GC. Evaluation of the international outcome inventory for hearing aids in a veteran sample. J Am AcadAudiol. 2009;20(6):374-80. PMID: 19594085
3. Cox RM, Alexander GC. The international outcome inventory for hearing aids (IOI-HA): psychometric properties of the English version. Int J Audiol. 2002;41(1):30-5. PMID: 12467367
4. Paiva SM, Simões JF, Paiva AM, Sousa FJ, Bébéar JP. Translation of the international outcome inventory for hearing aids into Portuguese from Portugal. BMJ Open. 2017;7(3):e013784. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013784.
5. Thunberg Jespersen C, Bille M, Legarth JV. Psycho¬metric properties of a revised Danish translation of the international outcome inventory for hearing aids (IOI-HA). Int J Audiol. 2014;53(5):302-8. doi: 10.3109/14992027.2013.874049.
6. Kramer SE, Goverts ST, Dreschler WA, Boymans M, Festen JM. International outcome inventory for hearing aids (IOI-HA): results from the Netherlands. Int J Audiol. 2002;41(1):36-41. PMID: 12467368
7. Heuermann H, Kinkel M, Tchorz J. Comparison of psychometric properties of the international outcome inventory for hearing aids (IOI-HA) in various studies. Int J Audiol. 2005;44(2):102-9. doi: 10.1080/14992020500031223.
8. Brännström KJ, Wennerström I. Hearing aid fitting outcome: clinical application and psychometric properties of a Swedish translation of the international outcome inventory for hearing aids (IOI-HA). J Am AcadAudiol. 2010;21(8):512-21. doi: 10.3766/jaaa.21.8.3.
|Issue||Vol 26 No 4 (2017)|
|International outcome inventory for hearing aids questionnaire face validity reliability|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|