The relationship between quality of work life and job satisfaction among audiologists in Iran
Background and Aim: One of the most important pillars of the constancy of each organization is the satisfaction of its employees. Quality of work life is beyond job satisfaction; it involves the effect of the workplace on satisfaction with the job, satisfaction in non-work life domains and subjective well-being. This study aimed to determine the relationship between job satisfaction and quality of work life among audiologists in Iran.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted among 251 audiologists. Minnesota and Van Laar questionnaires were used.
Results: According to the results, the mean of the job satisfaction of audiologists was 71.8%, generally showing that audiologists were satisfied with their job. Also, mean of the quality of work life of audiologists was 76.8%, which indicates good quality of work life for audiologists. The relationship between the quality of work life and its seven dimensions with job satisfaction was significant (p<0.05). In all of the dimensions except stress at work, the correlation coefficient was positive and significant (p=0.68); however, the relationship between stress at work and job satisfaction was negative. Altogether, job career satisfaction had the strongest and stress at work had the weakest relationship with job satisfaction.
Conclusion: The data obtained from this study suggest that audiologists have good job satisfaction and quality of work life which can promise a bright future for audiologists and their clients. Promotion and improvement of dimensions of quality of work life can lead to higher job satisfaction and improve the provision of audiology services to clients.
2. Faragher EB, Cass M, Cooper CL. The relationship between job satisfaction and health: a meta-analysis. Occup Environ Med. 2005;62(2):105-12. doi: 10.1136/oem.2002.006734.
3. Sirgy MJ, Efraty D, Siegel P, Lee DJ. A new measure of quality of work life (QWL) based on need satisfaction and spillover theories. Soc Indic Res. 2001;55(3):241-302.
4. Yacullo WS. Clinical masking. In: Katz J, Medwetsky L, Burkard R, Hood LJ, editor. Handbook of clinical audiology. 6th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009. p. 80-115.
5. Greenhaus JH, Bedeian AG, Mossholder KW. Work experiences, job performance, and feelings of personal and family well-being. J Vocat Behav. 1987;31(2):200-15. doi: doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(87)90057-1.
6. Almalki MJ, Fitzgerald G, Clark M. Quality of work life among primary health care nurses in the Jazan region, Saudi Arabia: a cross-sectional study. Hum Resour Health. 2012;10:30. doi: 10.1186/1478-4491-10-30.
7. Hadizadeh Talasaz Z, Nourani Saadoldin S, Shakeri MT. [Relationship between components of quality of work life with job satisfaction among midwives in Mashhad]. Journal of Hayat. 2015;21(1):56-67. Persian.
8. Goudarzvand-Chegini M, Mirdoozandeh SG. [Relationship between quality of work-life and job satisfaction of the employees in public hospitals in rasht]. Zahedan J Res Med Sci. 2012;14(2):108-11. Persian.
9. Victorian B, Survey says: hearing healthcare professionals are satisfied in their careers. Hear J. 2011;64(5):29,30,32-34. doi: 10.1097/01.HJ.0000398148.56743.1d.
10. Shabaninejad H, Arab M, Rashidian A, Zeraati H, Bahrami S. [Quality of working life of family physicians in mazandaran]. Hakim Research Journal. 2012;15(2):178-84. Persian.
11. Bakhtiar Nasrabadi HA, Rajaeipour S, Salimi Ga, Taherpour F, Partovi M. [Relation between the job content and job satisfaction of Isfahan Iron Mill Co. staff members]. Journal of Executive Management. 2009;9(1):57-76. Persian
12. Mirkamali SM, Narenji Sani F. [A study on the relationship between the quality of work life and job satisfaction among the faculty members of the University of Tehran and Sharif University of Technology]. Quarterly Journal of Research and Planning in Higher Education. 2008;14(2):71-101. Persian.
13. Saedi S, Khalatbari J, Murray Najafabadi N. [Relationship between quality of work life and organizational health with job satisfaction]. Journal of Modern Industrial/Organizational Psychology. 2010;1(4):55-64. Persian.
14. Zakerian SA, Teymuri GH, Ahmadnezhad I, Abbassinia M, Rahmani A, Asghari M. [Evaluation and effect dimension of quality of work life on job satisfaction in the automotive industry]. Journal of Ergonomics. 2014;1(3):36-46. Persian.
15. Martin FN, Champlin CA, Streetman PS, StreetmanPS. Audiologists' professional satisfaction. J Am Acad Audiol. 1997;8(1):11-7. PMID: 9046065
16. Saccone P, Steiger J. Audiologists' Professional Satisfaction. Am J Audiol. 2012 Dec;21(2):140-8. doi: 10.1044/1059-0889(2012/12-0005).
17. Luckner JL, Hanks JA. Job satisfaction: perceptions of a national sample of teachers of students who are deaf or hard of hearing. Am Ann Deaf. 2003;148(1):5-17. PMID: 12765085
18. Lass N, Middleton G, Pannbacker M, Marks C. A survey of speech-language pathologists’ career development and satisfaction. Contemp Issues Commun Sci Disord. 1993;20:99-104.
19. Blood GW, Ridenour JS, Thomas EA, Qualls CD, Hammer CS. Predicting job satisfaction among speech-language pathologists working in public schools. Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch. 2002;33(4):282-290. doi: 10.1044/0161-1461(2002/023).
20. Arab M, Shabaninejad H, Rashidian A, Rahimi A, Purketabi K. [A Survey on Working Life Quality of specialists working in affiliated hospitals of TUMS]. Hosp Q. 2013;11(4):19-24. Persian.
21. Saleh Koushki M, Akbari sari A, Arab M, Ahmadi engali K. [Quality of working life and its relation with productivity of nurses' performance in shahid beheshti university of medical sciences hospitals]. Scientific Journal of School of Public Health and Institute of Public Health Research.2013;10(4):81-90. Persian.
Copyright (c) 2017 Auditory and Vestibular Research
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.