Internal evaluation department of speech therapy, Tehran University of Medical Sciences
Background and Aim: Internal evaluation is an important part of organization monitoring. One of the Ministry of Health’s policies is to encourage educational departments to conduct internal evaluations. The aim of internal evaluation of department of speech therapy was appraising its education, research and treatment qualities and determining its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats (SWOTs) to identify the ways of overcoming weakness and threats.
Methods: This descriptive cross-sectional study was conducted in 10 phases to evaluate 10 factors. Participants were undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate students, academic staff, director of the department along with the patients. The internal evaluation software for educational and research centers released by Center of Medical Education Studies and Development was modified and utilized. Data was analyzed by calculating mean of means.
Results: Mean of means from highest to lowest scores were respectively as follows: the quality of diagnosis, treatment and dealing with patients 4.15 out of 5; as well as the quality of academic staff 3.5 were in the range of desirable category; qualities of management and organizational structure 3.34, graduate students 3.21, teaching and learning processes 3.1, missions and goals 3.09, instructional methods and curriculum models 2.99, educational and research equipments 2.9, students 2.76 and research 2.67 were within the range of rather desirable category. Total score was 3.17 (63.4%) which was within the range of rather desirable category.
Conclusion: The department of speech therapy was in rather desirable state before merger. That result was appropriate according to the department’s conditions and supplies.
2. Shahbazi R, Sedaghat K. Internal Evaluation In Academic Libraries: Case Study. Library And Information Science. 2008;10(4):111-28.
3. Barazandeh Tehrani M, Souri E, Farzianpour F, Shafiei A, Shamsa SF, Sadat Ebrahimi SE, et al. Internal evaluation in the department of education, Faculty of Chemical Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Journal of Research in Educational Systems. 2007;1(1):57-68. Persian.
4. Teichler U. Comparative higher education: potentials and limits. Higher Education. 1996;32(4):431-65.
5. Sanders WL, Horn SP. Research Findings from the Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS) Database: Implications for Educational Evaluation and Research. Journal of Personnel Evaluation in Education. 1998;12(3):247-56.
6. Yarmohammadian MH, Kalbasi A. Internal Evaluation of Departments in the School of Management and Medical Informatics, Isfahan University of Medical Science. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2006;6(1):125-33. Persian.
7. Kanji GK, Malek A, Tambi BA. Total quality management in UK higher education institutions. Total Quality Management. 1999;10(1):129-53.
8. Ross JA. Cost-utility analysis in educational needs assessment. Eval Program Plann. 2008;31(4):356-67.
9. Arsovski Z. Approach to quality assurance in higher education. International Journal of Quality research. 2007;1(1):53-60.
10. Harden R, Crosby J, Davis MH, Howie PW, Struthers AD. Task-based learning: The answer to integration and problem-based learning in the clinical years. Med Educ. 2000;34(5):391-7.
11. Farzianpoor F, Bazargan A. Evaluation of clinical education departments of Tehran Hospitals. TUMJ. 1999;57(2):72-8. Persian.
12. Harvey L. An Assessment of Past and Current Approaches to Quality in Higher Education. Australian Journal of Education. 1998;42(3):237-55.
13. Sedaie M, Farzianpour F, Adel Ghahraman M, Mohammad Khani Gh, Fatahi J, Sarough Farahani S, et al. Internal evaluation of Audiology department, Faculty of Rehabilitation, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran. Audiol. 2007;16(1):1-9. Persian.
14. Sadollahi A, Bakhtiyari J, Kasbi F, Eftekhari Z, Salmani M, Jenabi MS, et al. Internal evaluation of speech therapy department of Semnan University of Medical Sciences. Koomesh. 2008;9(3):179-86. Persian.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.