Neonatal hearing screening program in Ahvaz, Southern Iran
Background and Aim: American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) established standards for neonatal hearing screening programs in 1999. The main purpose of this study was to achieve exact statistical data of this program in Ahvaz, Iran, and to compare these results with the standards of American Academy of Pediatrics.
Methods: In this cross-sectional descriptive study, the data of neonatal hearing program in Ahvaz west health center from 2008 to 2011 were reviewed. Data were analysed by descriptive statistics.
Results: From 25073 neonates, 25 had hearing loss. The false positive and referral ratio to the diagnosis stage were 2.6 and 0.48 percent, respectively. 92 percent of hard of hearing infants were diagnosed before three months of life.
Conclusion: In comparison with the standards of American Academy of Pediatrics, all of the items, except two, were included completely or relatively complete. But, more efforts must be done to achieve the whole standards which are available.
2. Aurellio FS, Tochetto TM. Newborn hearing screening: experience of different countries. Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2010;14(3):355-63.
3. Atas B, Altunhan H, Erylmaz MA, Atas E. Frequency of congenital hearing loss in 43,503 healthy newborn infants in Konya, Turkey. J Pak Med Assoc. 2011;61(8):727-8
4. Jardim IS, Matas CG, Carvallo RMM. Newborn hearing screening with transient evoked otoacoustic emissions and automatic auditory brainstem response. Estein. 2008;6(3):253-61.
5. Wrightson AS. Universal newborn hearing screening. Am Fam Physician. 2007;75(9):1349-52.
6. Zamani A, Daneshjou K, Ameni A, Takand J. Estimating the incidence of neonatal hearing loss in high risk neonates. Acta Medica Iranica. 2004;24(3):176-80.
7. Zamani A, Karimi A, Naseri M, Amini E, Milani M, Sazgar AA, et al. Prevalence of hearing loss among high risk newborns hospitalized in hospitals affiliated to Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Tehran Univ Med J. 2010;68(1):64-70.
8. Firouzbakht M، Eftekhar Ardebili H ، Majlesi F، Rahimi A ، Esmailzadeh M. Prevalence of neonatal hearing impairment in province capitals. J Sch Public Health Inst Public Health Res. 2007;5(4):1-9.
9. Onoda RM, Azevedo MF, Santos AMN. Neonatal hearing screening: failures, hearing loss and risk indicators. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol. 2011;77(6):775-83.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.