The prevalence of sensorineural hearing loss in patients with Kawasaki disease after treatment
Background and Aim: Kawasaki disease (KD) is an acute childhood febrile illness with worldwide incidence and the highest incidence occurs in Asian children, with coronary arteritis being the main complication. Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) has also been described as a complication of KD in several articles. The aim of this study was to evaluate the prevalence of SNHL in patients with KD treated with intra vein immunoglobellin (IVIG).
Methods: In this cross sectional study, we evaluated 56 patients who received KD treatment between 2011 and 2015 by auditory brainstem evoked response (ABR), pure tone audiometry (PTA), and tympanometry. Also, we evaluated the prevalence of coronary arteritis, the time of beginning IVIG treatment from the onset of fever, the prevalence of thrombocytosis, and erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) in acute or subacute phases of their disease.
Results: During audiological evaluation, we found SNHL in one (2.6%) of the 36 patients. Other findings in the acute and subacute phases of KD included: 8 patients (22%) had coronary aneurysm, 17 (47%) thrombocytosis, 25 (69%) had elevated ESR, and the treatment with IVIG within 10 days of fever was done in 19 patients (53%).
Conclusion: SNHL is a complication of KD which could extend beyond the treatment time. In this study, the patient with SNHL was treated with KD two years before the study and in the acute phase of KD, he had thrombocytosis > 500,0000, ccoronary artery aneurysm, ESR > 40. The treatment with IVIG was done within the first 10 days of fever onset.
2. Rowley AH, Baker SC, Orenstein JM, Shulman ST. Searching for the cause of Kawasaki disease--cytoplasmic inclusion bodies provide new insight. Nat Rev Microbiol. 2008;6(5):394-401.
3. Newburger JW, Takahashi M, Gerber MA, Gewitz MH, Tani LY, Burns JC, et al. Diagnosis, treatment, and long-term management of Kawasaki disease: a statement for health professionals from the committee on rheumatic fever, endocarditis, and Kawasaki disease, council on cardiovascular disease in the young, American heart association. Pediatrics. 2004;114(6):1708-33.
4. Muta H, Ishii M, Iemura M, Suda K, Nakamura Y, Matsuishi T. Effect of revision of Japanese diagnostic criterion for fever in Kawasaki disease on treatment and cardiovascular outcome. Circ J. 2007;71(11):1791-3.
5. Luca NJ, Yeung RS. Epidemiology and management of Kawasaki disease. Drugs. 2012;72(8):1029-38.
6. Scuccimarri R. Kawasaki disease. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2012;59(2):425-45.
7. Suzuki H, Yanagawa T, Kihira S. Two cases of hearing loss associated with Kawasaki disease. Clin Pediatr. 1988;41(167):72.
8. Sundel RP, Cleveland SS, Beiser AS, Newburger JW, McGill T, Baker AL, et al. Audiologic profiles of children with Kawasaki disease. Am J Otol. 1992;13(6):512-5.
9. Novo A, Pinto S, Prior AC, Alvares S, Soares T, Guedes M. Kawasaki disease and sensorineural hearing loss: an (un)expected complication. Eur J Pediatr. 2012;171(5):851-4.
10. Alves NR, Magalhães CM, Almeida Rde F, Santos RC, Gandolfi L, Pratesi R. Prospective study of Kawasaki disease complications: review of 115 cases. Rev Assoc Med Bras. 2011;57(3):295-300.
11. Magalhães CM, Magalhães Alves NR, Oliveira KM, Silva IM, Gandolfi L, Pratesi R. Sensorineural hearing loss: an underdiagnosed complication of Kawasaki disease. J Clin Rheumatol. 2010;16(7):322-5.
12. Kara A, Beşbaş N, Tezer H, Karagöz T, Devrim I, Unal OF. Reversible sensorineural hearing loss in a girl with Kawasaki disease. Turk J Pediatr. 2007;49(4):431-3.
13. Knott PD, Orloff LA, Harris JP, Novak RE, Burns JC; Kawasaki disease multicenter hearing loss study group. Sensorineural hearing loss and Kawasaki disease: a prospective study. Am J Otolaryngol. 2001;22(5):343-8.
14. Clausen H, Howarth C, Giardini A. Kawasaki disease: always straight to the heart? BMJ Case Rep. 2012;2012. pii: bcr2012006505.
15. Carney AE, Moeller MP. Treatment efficacy: hearing loss in children. J Speech Lang Hear Res. 1998;41(1):S61-84.
16. Schlauch RS, Nelson P. Puretone evaluation. In: Katz J, Medwetsky L, Burkard R, Hood LJ, editors. Handbook of Clinical Audiology. 6th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009. p. 30-49.
17. Northern JL, Downs MP. Hearing in children. 5th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2002.
18. Muniz JC, Dummer K, Gauvreau K, Colan SD, Fulton DR, Newburger JW. Coronary artery dimensions in febrile children without Kawasaki disease. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013;6(2):239-44.
19. Sundel RP, Newburger JW, McGill T, Cleveland SS, Miller WW, Berry B, et al. Sensorineural hearing loss associated with Kawasaki disease. J Pediatr. 1990;117(3):371-7.
20. Silva CH, Roscoe IC, Fernandes KP, Novaes RM, Lázari CS. [Sensorineural hearing loss associated to Kawasaki Disease]. J Pediatr (Rio J). 2002;78(1):71-4. Portuguese.
21. Rowley AH, Shulman ST. New developments in the search for the etiologic agent of Kawasaki disease. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2007;19(1):71-4.
22. Shulman ST, Rowley AH. Advances in Kawasaki disease. Eur J Pediatr. 2004;163(6):285-91.
23. Cimaz R, Falcini F. An update on Kawasaki disease. Autoimmun Rev. 2003;2(5):258-63.
24. Leung DY, Schlievert PM, Meissner HC. The immunopathogenesis and management of Kawasaki syndrome. Arthritis Rheum. 1998;41(9):1538-47.
25. Harris JP, Keithley EM. Inner ear inflammation and round window otosclerosis. Am J Otol. 1993;14(2):109-12.
26. McKenna MJ. Measles, mumps, and sensorineural hearing loss. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1997;830:291-8.
27. Huang ZW, Luo Y, Wu Z, Tao Z, Jones RO, Zhao HB. Paradoxical enhancement of active cochlear mechanics in long-term administration of salicylate. J Neurophysiol. 2005;93(4):2053-61.
28. Cazals Y. Auditory sensori-neural alterations induced by salicylate. Prog Neurobiol. 2000;62(6):583-631.
29. Yoshinaga-Itano C. Early intervention after universal neonatal hearing screening:impact on outcomes. Dev Disabil Res Rev. 2003;9(4):252-66.
|Issue||Vol 25 No 2 (2016)|
|Kawasaki disease sensorineural hearing loss auditory brainstem evoked response intra vein immunoglobellin|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|